Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"TRANSFORMERS" directed by Michael Bay

Hee-hee...

I was born in 1973. Ergo, by the early eighties I was neck deep into Star Wars, He-Man, GI-Joe, and the Transformers. Maybe that explains some of my enthusiasm...

On Monday night I finally got to go see the "Transformers" movie, and I'm sure it won't be long before I go see it again. It was one gigantic, metal-crunching, summer popcorn fun fest. Decent acting and ridiculously fantastic special effects, this one was almost an A+. The only things that drew it down a bit were a few clunkers in the humor department and the lack of interaction between the Decepticons. A character like Starscream should have had a LOT more to say, but it was fun when Megatron briefly reprimanded him, ("You've failed me yet again, Starscream!"). However, I'm sure there'll be much more interaction in the ensuing, inevitable sequels. An extreme high point in the film: Peter Cullen reprises his role as Optimus Prime. I was so stoked over this. I don't think any other voice for Prime would have worked. Megatron's voice is different, but it's maniacal enough that it doesn't detract from the experience.

(It cracks me up that anyone who didn't grow up with the cartoons/toys won't have the slightest clue what the majority of the above paragraph meant... sucks for you! Hee!)
A powerhouse of a movie. Highly, highly recommended.

Rated 4.5 out of 5

(Originally reviewed in "The Daily Cave" on July 9th, 2007)

No comments: